Thursday 9 June 2011

The day I became a murderer and clairvoyant in just 16 hours.

Last night I took a picture of some awesome pasta I made from scratch. 



Five seconds later, like a complete pigeon, I dropped my camera on the floor. It now no longer works. I'd take a picture except... Well, you know. 

It landed on the lens and bent it out of place. 

I went into denial at first. I repeatedly pressed the on/off button, convinced that even though it said "lens error" the first 50 times, the next time it would be different.

It wasn't. 

After I repeated the pointless exercise another 126 times, I collapsed into a heap as the realisation hit me. I had killed my camera. 

I tried to distract myself with an episode of Lost and by uploading yesterday's post. This was successful until, an hour later, my eyes fell on the camera again. 

Convinced that I had made the whole "murder of my camera" fiasco up, I tried to turn the camera back on and blinked back the tears as the same "lens error" message appeared on my screen. 

Of course this just triggered off my denial phase all over again and I reverted back to my "on/off and repeat" method. Perhaps if I did it enough times, it would jiggle something and make the lens move. 

It didn't. 

It was at this point that I went on my Facebook page and faced the issue head on by admitting to what I had done by way of an updated status. 

It was only then, as I wrote the words down, that I allowed myself to cry. I allowed myself to mourn the departing of my beloved camera. 

Then the panic hit... How was I going to illustrate my points to people on my blog now? How was I going to make random videos of my day? HOW WAS I GOING TO LIVE?

Adrenaline pumping, I ran to where I kept the box for the camera and searched for the receipt. This was when I discovered that not only had I (in a moment of generosity to myself) put out an instant replacement warranty on the camera, but i had also not lost the paper that proved it. That has NEVER happened to me before. 

I dragged Work-Buddy-James to Canary Wharf during our lunch break today as I had been assured there was a Dixons store there. 

We spent the majority of the time in the lift because Work-Buddy-James got confused by the buttons. Once we did get out the lift though we went searching for Dixons. 

"You know what?" I said. "Knowing my luck it won't even be a Dixons anymore. Instead they'll have replaced it with a Currys or something."

"You're so negative," Work-Buddy-James said. "It's going to be fine."

"Well I don't see it anywhere, do you?"

"Let's ask this guy." Work-Buddy-James suggested and tapped a security man on the shoulder. "Excuse me, can you direct me to Dixons please?"

"I'm sorry," the man responded. "It hasn't been a Dixons for a while, it got turned into a Currys last year."

I stared at him in disbelief whilst Work-Buddy-James bit his bottom lip to stop from laughing. 

Once we were out of earshot I turned my gaping face to Work-Buddy-James. 

"Dude, I think I'm clairvoyant."

"Yeah, but you see things that have already happened... Probably not as impressive."

"Jealous much?"

Good and bad news followed. Currys agreed to replace the camera as it was linked somehow with Dixons but I didn't have everything I needed to give the camera back (cables, charger, etc) so he wouldn't take it. 

So I went later when I got home from work and alas, for all my tears and denial I have actually walked away with a much better model and for some reason I don't feel the pain like I did last night...

Old camera I will always miss you, you gave me 10 wonderful months of my life and I will definitely miss how small you were. But my new camera is HD and does really cool things like this.



(That's my living room by the way)

I think I've grieved as much as I can, it is now time for me to move on. New vid with new camera should be around by the end of the weekend.

Yes I'm fickle, but I'm okay with it.

3 comments:

  1. I am extremely impressed that you had the receipt. That never happens to me. I find receipts all the time, but never for anything I need and then? When I do need one? I KNOW I just saw it, but where? My house is one huge void.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird, I got a new camera a couple weeks ago, and even though it has AMAZING features and INSANE capabilities, all I can do is put it in panorama mode and take pictures like that. Over. And Over. And Over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracey - I was extremely impressed as well!! Usually I always put important documents in a "safe place" so I don't lose it and then ALWAYS forget where that place is. It was a miracle I managed to find it this time.

    Leauxra - I have been doing the exact same thing!! People keep on looking at the camera and commenting on the clear picture and how well it takes a photo etc but then I always grab it from them and go "but have you seen this really cool thing it does?"

    ReplyDelete