Tuesday 22 April 2014

Next On Netflix: Stand by Me

It has come to my attention that I've been a little lazy with my posts over the past week... just giving you links to videos and other people making an effort, but not creating any form of effort myself. It's appalling, I know... I'm not saying that I'm going to do anything about it, but I thought I'd let you know that I am aware of my laziness... it's within my radar.

Today, however, I am going to launch my new Feature! Huzzah! Hooray! And other slightly posh exclamations that show I'm very much from the land of the Brits. Pip pip!!

So, the Feature I'm going to try is Next On Netflix. Guys, it has become an obsession of mine. I pretty much only ever watch things that are on Netflix nowadays. Yes, that means that I also find myself stuck watching absolutely awful films amongst the few good ones, as this post demonstrated, but I figured, if you wanted to watch something, and you weren't sure about it, you could just come and see what I thought about it. And if you don't have Netflix... well, that's just a little bit bizarre. Just get the month's free trial already and see your obsession grow.

Now, there are a large selection of movies and shows to review on this site. My main problem is working out where to start. As such, I thought that I would just go on there and find the first one that sparked my interest... This is what I will begin with. After a while, if you guys like this, then please do offer suggestions of movies on there you would like a review on, and I will accommodate. I will take a request, watch it, and then tell you whether it's worth watching... because everyone knows my opinion is the only one that counts... ahem.

So, today, I'm going to kick it off with a movie that I have heard about all my life, but never actually watched. It was getting to an embarrassing point, so when it was introduced to Netflix, I was all over that shizzle. Today's review is over a movie from the 80s, called Stand By Me.


Okay, so here's what I knew about the movie going in:

1. Will Wheaton is in it. (Side note: I love Will Wheaton)
2. Of the people who have seen it, I have yet to meet a person who didn't love it in some shape or form.
3. Most of these people who have seen it, tend to be of the male variety, which suggests to me it's one of those movies that guys get all emotional over.

So, with that in mind, I knew I wasn't going to hate it. And I didn't. It was well written and had some very, very good dialogue moments, especially between two of the boys, Gordie (Wheaton) and Chris (River Phoenix).

The overall, no spoilers, premise of the plot is thus:

It's about four friends, Gordie, Chris, Teddy (Corey Fieldman (seriously, was this guy in every successful kids based movie of the 80s?)), and Vern (Jerry O'Connell), all with some form of screwed up background within their families. Vern overhears his older brother talking about how they had found a dead body and were too scared to do anything about it, so left it in the middle of the woods. The four boys therefore take a two day camping trip to find this body, and inevitable bonding occurs.

It's a simple concept, but a very effective one. It proves that you don't need massive plot turns and action to create a good movie, all you need is good writing, and this movie had good writing. It's my favourite kind of movie, and the type that always inspires me. There is nothing more beautiful than a powerful conversation between two characters. There are plenty of areas where it almost suggests that something more dramatic is going to occur, but then it pulls it back at the very last minute and keeps it within the 'realistic' vibe.

Overall, it is a movie about boys on the cusp of growing up. They're all 12 years old and the whole feel is like, although they have all been best friends for a long time, this was probably the last time they would ever hang out before they ended up going their separate ways. This underlying theme gave the movie its beauty. That, coupled with the fact that these boys predominantly spend the movie acting their age, but occasionally provide mature insight into each other's lives that comes out of nowhere and blows you away.

I do recommend this movie. Not that I really need to, as its reputation speaks for itself. If you're looking for an easy, yet incredibly enjoyable movie to watch on Netflix this week, then check this one out. It's definitely worth the time.

...

I will try and do one of these reviews a week. Although the day might vary... If you have a movie that you've seen advertised on Netflix but aren't sure if you will enjoy, so would like an opinion first, then please do mention it in the comments/twitter/facebook. I have no problem watching crappy movies, so I'm happy to take the bullet for you, should it turn into a bad one.

If I don't hear from any of you, then I shall pick another at random for next week. NB: I am equally willing to watch a TV show, but you might have to wait a little longer for me to get a review out for that, as it's a teensy bit more time consuming.

In case you were wondering; yes, this idea definitely came out of the guilt I was feeling over all the procrastination time I had spent on Netflix recently, and my need to justify it somehow. I think it's worked, I feel far better about myself.

Peace out my lovelies.

No comments:

Post a Comment