Thursday 6 March 2014

I actually did the girly shopping thing and liked it... I'm growing as a person

Hey!!

So yesterday I got to do some pretty exciting shizzle. New-To-The-Family-Amy is getting married later this year to Older-Brother-Glyn, if you didn't know already. If you haven't seen it yet, I totally recommend watching the video I did on the proposal, it was epic. I shall add it again now for those who missed it the first time, or who have seen it but loved the epicness so much that they want to see it again.



Amazing, no? Older-Brother-Glyn knows how to romance a woman. For that I give him "mad props" (do people still say that? If they don't, they should. I'm all about the 90s slang).

Anywho, New-To-The-Family-Amy and I went shopping for Bridesmaid dresses yesterday in Oxford Street, and I freakin' loved it. I know there are a lot of ladies out there who begin to resent the thought of being a bridesmaid, with that old chestnut "Always the bridesmaid, never the bride" thing. I, ladies and gents, am not that person. I freakin' love being a bridesmaid. I mean, I'm not quite at the level of Katherine Heigl in 27 Dresses, mostly because I don't have that many friends, but this will be my third Bridesmaid experience and I am practically giddy with excitement.

Although I have made massive strides lately in my attempts of starting up dates and shizzle with men, I also know that I am miles away from being anywhere close to ready for marriage. I don't want to say that I'm missing the gene that women seem to have who crave the idea of marriage, as I certainly had it when I was younger, but it has somehow disappeared off into some dark corner somewhere and I'm in no rush to find it.

I do still love marriage in general though, and especially when it involves people as close to me as Older-Brother-Glyn. As such, I am so excited about this wedding, and everything that it entails. I'm not going to go into it here, but every time either of them tell me something new about the day, I get a new set of tingles run through my spine. If I had to sum the plans up in one word, I would say Unique would be the ideal definition. I will be recording as much of the day as I can, with the view of a second montage like the one above, and will definitely let you all see the final product, but until then, I'm going against every impulse within me to keep my mouth shut so as not to ruin the surprise.

I will let you guys in on the suggestions that I have made for the day so far, however. I'm confident about sharing this as, although both New-To-The-Family-Amy and Older-Brother-Glyn liked these ideas, I'm almost certain neither have made the "actually going to happen" list. Which, personally, I think is a travesty, but I've respected their opinions and moved on. Also, if they don't use it, then when I do eventually get to that point of tying the knot, I can just go ahead and use them for mine.

First off was my suggestion for a wedding cake, after I saw a birthday cake that I thought would totally rock better at a wedding. This cake was so awesome that I can't possibly understand why anyone would say no to it... here it is.


Words cannot express the love that I have for this cake. I want it. I want it every day. I love it and everything there is about it. Awesome. So keep on the lookout for that in about 10 years when I eventually do the marriage thing.

The other thing was a photo idea that I found from another wedding. Oh my days, it rocks my world and completely sums up the theme of all of the photos I had imagined should my day ever come. As it is, I'm really hoping that Older-Brother-Glyn and New-To-The-Family-Amy don't mind my natural inclination towards the 'pulling a stupid face' motif that I tend to deviate towards when having my picture taken. I will try to smile like a normal person on their special day, but sometimes I go into the photo with the best intentions of doing the normal smile pose and then people start yelling out "cheeeeeese" and before I know it, I'm sticking one leg into the air and pretending to eat the forehead of the person next to me. Although, ask me to pose in a certain silly way, like being terrified of something behind me for example, and I am all over that shizzle, which is why the below post rocks my world so much.


Man I love weddings. I'm so excited. Sorry, going to try and come down from the mega high of wedding talk. To clarify, I'm the complete stereo typical female when it comes to enjoying a good ol' wedding, not so much in dying for a wedding of my very own. In case you were confused.

So with all that in mind, you can imagine how excited I was at the prospect of Bridesmaid dress shopping last night with my future Sister-in-law. A little known fact that people may have picked up from me over the years is that I am not really a fan of the long shopping trips. I know that lots of ladies can go into shops and try on every type of dress, take photos and then go to other shops to try on others in a compare and contrast type motif, and are able to fill up an entire day with these activities. I cannot think of anything worse. I really like fashion and clothes and dressing up all pretty, but I also have the tiniest attention span when shopping for these things. I don't browse. I go into a shop, go to the section I need for clothes, buy it if it's there or, if I can't find it within five minutes, leave for another place. No shopping trip should last longer than an hour in my opinion, and even then you're pushing it.

I just get bored most of the time, and my feet almost always start to hurt, especially if I am the one who has been brought along to give the advice rather than buy anything. I'm happy to dish out advice when needed, but there's only so many times I can look at a slightly different version of the same coloured jacket and not want to collapse onto the floor of the shop for a power nap. I tend to think, if the first jacket is something you like and it fits you, just buy that one. No one is going to come up to you and say, "Wow, I would say I like that jacket, but I saw one that had buttons a little rounder than yours and now that I know it exists, to me you look like a fool." And if anyone does say that, I strongly urge the person wearing the jacket to just stare that person down for 30 seconds, shake their head and simply walk away. It really doesn't matter, seriously. If the outfit makes you feel good then you should continue to feel good, despite the designer brand available that apparently would have given your eyes a fraction more "pop" if you had bought it instead.

Having said that, yesterday I did do the whole 'trying on a multitude of dresses, taking pictures and comparing' thing, because there are occasions when this is more important than others, and I think a wedding constitutes as a valid time for this. Basically, I'm up for wearing anything that New-To-The-Family-Amy wants me to wear, as long as it's not too slutty as, due to where my weight is at the moment, pretty much everyone would feel uncomfortable with that. Luckily slutty is well and truly off the table so I really don't mind. As such, we walked through several shops, picking out dresses and getting me to try them on. I have to say guys, I was doing what I normally hate, but yet I failed to hate it. Sure, none of the dresses fit me because apparently the larger lady isn't allowed to wear a dress from department stores in Oxford street, but I'm at least making my way to fitting into them. I got the zip up to at least halfway up for most of the Size 14/16 (dependent on the shop we were in) dresses I tried on. Guys, that's a massive improvement from three months ago when I had to buy a pair of Size 18 trousers and felt myself die inside as I realised I could barely do up the button. I am at the point now that, in most of the shops I normally buy from, I am comfortably fitted in Size 16 clothes and even, in one beautiful excuse for a shop, can fit into a Size 14 dress size.

My weight gain, if you glance back on some of the earlier photos from my blog, was a very fast albeit very dramatic change that occurred over the space of the last year and a half. This was mostly due to medication I was taking that just made me hungry 24/7. Thankfully, I'm not on it anymore and am now taking the much longer and more tedious journey back down the weight scale. I'm doing okay, with two stones lost and a couple of pounds going each week. However, it does make bridesmaid dress buying a little redundant at the moment, as my weight will have changed by July. But still, there were pictures and general enjoyment and an overall girlishness to the whole evening that I fully enjoyed.

So the overall gist of this post is that I did stuff I wouldn't normally do, and I enjoyed it! Sure, it wasn't rock climbing or bungee jumping and some may see it as pretty much nothing monumental, but I'm seeing the personal growth in it because that's the kind of person I am lately, that ridiculous chipper "glass half full" type that makes everyone sick to their stomachs to be around. You're welcome world.

Peace out my lovelies.

No comments:

Post a Comment