Friday 6 June 2014

Fancy Things Friday: If you're on the fence about Doctor Who, here are three episodes that should convince you

Welcome to Fancy Things Friday, where I talk about things on a Friday that I think are fancy!!

Today's Fancy Thing is something I've talked about in the past. However due to the sheer level of awesome it has to it, I chose to only speak about a certain aspect of it, mainly because I knew that I would want to bring it up again in another Fancy Thing Friday when I rediscovered yet another part that I love. 

Yes, I am of course talking (once again) about Doctor Who. The last time I brought this up in a Fancy Thing, I was referring to the awesomeness that was the 11th Doctor's speeches. They are still just as awesome as they were when I initially wrote this, so go ahead and click on the link to get a taster. 

This time, I've been on a rewatching hype as Oldest-Friend-Cafrin has finally given in and began watching the show. Her links to the episodes got me all in the mood for them, and then I watched an awesome Doctor Who Parody and suddenly all I wanted to do was watch it again. In particular, the Donna Noble Series. 


It is one of the better parodies I've seen, and I'm one of those obsessive people who watch a lot of them. Check it out. 

Anywho, my Doctor Who focus this time is on three of my favourite episodes in the current Doctor Who collection. There are others that I probably put up there with these three, but I'm limiting myself so that I don't end up writing for days. My other reason for picking these three episodes is that, if you haven't ever watched a Doctor Who episode, you can quite easily watch these as stand alone episodes, as they really have nothing to do with the overall storyline and don't hold any spoilers. They are excellently written and give you a quick taster to the genius that is Doctor Who. So if you want to try it out to see if you like, give one of these a go. They're all available on Netflix, which I reckon everyone should have by now... if you don't, come on guys, get with the programme.

Series 4, Episode 10: Midnight
Reason for excellence: Such an immense script

Now, before I get into this, yes guys, I am fully aware of the many other episodes that are written superbly, and I do fully understand that Series 3, Episode 10: 'Blink' is still one of the best episodes scriptwise, but my reasons for picking the above episode is that it never seems to get much praise when people talk about some of the best episodes. I therefore wanted to give it the recognition it deserves. 

It's from the David Tennant/Catherine Tate (plays Donna Noble) series, although Donna is only in the episode for the first and last couple of minutes. Those of you who are British TV fans might recognise two of the guest stars in this episode, in particular; Merlin's Colin Morgan (plays Merlin) and Eastenders' Lindsey Coulsen (plays Carol Jackson). It's written by Russell T Davies, who was the head writer before the great Moffat took over. 

The whole episode happens in one place. They are all locked in on a shuttle bus on a planet far away which doesn't have any kind of breathable air. There is an attack on the shuttle bus. Not an obvious one, but rather a unique and interesting attack that allows all the characters on the bus to act their freakin' socks off. It is an episode completely reliant on dialogue and needs strong actors in order to pull it off. David Tennant is simply amazeballs in this episode. You are hooked from the moment of attack to the end. It is also an episode that has you empathising with the characters one second and then hating them with a passion, the next. Not to mention you get frustrated with them, but in a really good way that means you can't take your eyes off the screen for fear of missing anything. 

What I love most about this episode is that it gives off this air of massive amounts of things happening, but in actuality there is very little that really does. The suspense is in the script entirely. To me, that is my favourite thing about a good story. If a writer can accomplish this, they immediately go to the top of my 'will lust over their talent' list. I lust ridiculously all over this episode. 

Series 5, Episode 7: The Unicorn and the Wasp
Reason for excellence: Doctor Who comedy at its very best

I've mentioned before that I love Donna Noble as the companion so much because she provides humour into the series in such an awesome way, I just want to lick her face. We're still in the David Tennant/Catherine Tate series and this episode well and truly epitomises the genius comedy of this duo. It's written by Gareth Roberts, who is a recurring writer throughout the many series of the new Doctor Who. His episodes are usually pretty good and quite fun. For those of you who have seen the series before, he has written both of the James Corden episodes, as well as a few others. 

This episode takes the Doctor and Donna back to the 20s, where they end up at an overly posh and British garden party, where the main guest is none other than Agatha Christie. They stay the weekend and a series of murders begin to take place... I know right? Irony!! The whole episode is silly in the best way possible. Donna dropping hints about Agatha's future books and copywriting them etc. My main reason for loving this episode is the dynamic between the Doctor and Donna all the way through. Also, my single most favourite funny Doctor Who moment happens in this episode. I won't say much about it, but there is a certain moment that takes place between Donna and the Doctor in the kitchen. You'll know it when you get to it. 

And finally (for now)

Series 6, Episode 0: A Christmas Carol
Reason for excellence: Of all the Christmas specials, this is the most magical

This episode happens just after Matt Smith's first series as the Doctor. It's a Christmas special that guest stars Michael Gambon and Katherine Jenkins. It is written by Steven Moffat, and we all know how I feel about that man... 

Okay, so the concept of this is that Amy Pond is on a spaceship that is about to crash. There is a planet nearby that can help. However, in order for this to happen, the Doctor needs to convince a Scrooge type character to help; Kazran (Gambon). He won't, so the Doctor decides to go back in time and manipulate his past 'A Christmas Carol' style. 

It is a Christmas story at its best. It has romance, magic, redemption, humour and happiness all rolled into one beautiful bundle. Not to mention, the Doctor Who composer; Murray Gold knocks it out of the park with a song  sung at the end that is completely stunning. Want to hear it? 


I know it's not Christmas at the moment guys, but I watched this episode again last night and I have decided that, regardless of the time of year, you can never not need that kind of magical optimism in your life. Additionally, Matt Smith, who is the king of the comical one liners throughout his reign as the Doctor, has some absolute corkers in this episode. Trust me on that. 

So there are my three little stand alone tasters of the series we all know I am obsessed with. If you are still on the fence about whether you would want to watch this series, just try one of the above out. Alternatively, Series 3, Episode 10: 'Blink' is also AMAZING but every Whovian talks about that episode so I won't be going into it now, except to say that it is also written by the Moffat, which should be enough to convince you it's worth a watch. 

Recommendations for this week done! Have a great weekend. Enjoy these episodes! 

Peace out my lovelies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment