Friday 27 June 2014

Fancy Things Friday: Ed Sheeran X (xxxxxx)

Welcome to Fancy Things Friday, where I talk about things on a Friday that I think are fancy!!

If you have been reading any of my posts this week, then you will be all too aware of what it is that I will be Fancying up today. This particular Fancy Thing has, quite simply, blown my mind to such an extent, I'm not certain there is much of it left in my head. I have found a new obsession and it is all wrapped up in an old already well established obsession within me; the beauty that is Ed Sheeran and his ability to make heaven with his voice. This time, with the genius that is his new album X.


I've made it no secret in the past that I love the Sheeran. Indeed, when he brought out his first album +, I do believe a wrote a post declaring my undying love and devotion to the man. In this post (see link) I write him a letter, asking him to write me a song, so you can imagine my excitement when I hear he has a whole new album, all full of possible songs about me. 

I'm currently in the process of dissecting the songs word by word to find any hint that it's about me, but I have to admit, so far there has been nothing that would suggest I'm in there... although I am secretly hoping that 'Photograph', 'One' or 'Thinking out Loud' are actually with me in mind, I'm still waiting to hear back on confirmation of this however. 

This week, I have been on a one woman PR campaign for Sheeran's album. I have recommended it to almost everyone who has engaged me in conversation, no matter what the topic might be. This has included work related conversations, workout related conversations, culture, deeply emotional conversations and a few spontaneous outbursts where I have gotten so excited listening to a song, I've had to explode with exclamations such as "Ed Sheeran is a God!" etc and so forth. Disclaimer: As far as I know, Ed Sheeran is not a God... I meant it figuratively, before you start getting carried away and building churches in his name. 

Okay, so here's what the album's like. As opposed to the first one (which is freakin' awesome by the way) it is a lot more varied in its styling. He has upbeat songs that have led me to dance (rather stylishly in my opinion) in my office, such as 'Sing' and 'Don't', as well as... do we call it hip hop? Nope, we definitely don't. I would say more hip hop inspired... I don't even want to say he raps... he speaks quickly. I don't know... he's Ed Sheeran, he does what he does. All I know is it's amazing, for examples of this check out 'The Man' and 'Take it Back.' Then there are the beautiful songs, the ones that grip your heart and cause you to feel all sorts of emotions that make you genuinely worried because real life stuff never makes you feel this strongly... The reasons for all of these emotions is his uncanny ability to combine beautiful melodies with stunning, yet simple, lyrics. 

Amazing examples, and a few of my favs of these are 

Photograph
So you can keep me inside the pocket of your ripped jeans
Holding me close until our eyes meet
You won't ever be alone
Wait for me to come home

Tenerife Sea 
Should you be the last thing I see
I want you to know it's enough for me
Because all that you are is all I'll ever need

Even My Dad Does Sometimes
It's alright to cry, even my dad does sometimes
So don't wipe your eyes, tears remind you you're alive

There is also 'Thinking out loud' or, as I like to call it, the song that will feature in every wedding of 2014/2015. Which is slightly more upbeat and so very very beautiful lyrically, once more. 

When your legs don't work like they used to before, 
And I can't sweep you off your feet
Will your mouth still remember the taste of my love? 
Will your eyes still smile from your cheeks? 

Darling, I will be loving you till we're 70...

Yup. Every single wedding. Watch this space. It'll be Shania Twain's 'From this moment' all over again. 

And lastly, there are the songs that do that amazing thing that Ed Sheeran loves to do. Yes, it's the songs where he has the building bridge. One line repeated over and over, building more and more until you find yourself shouting out in inappropriate places about your love for the Sheeran. Basically, it's like 'Give me Love' from his first album but brought up a notch. These songs are 'I'm a mess', 'Bloodstream', and (my personal favourite) 'Afire Love.'

In short, there is not one song on this album that I wanted to skip through, which never happens with me and an album. Now that I have listened to it nonstop for 5 days, there are favourites, but I usually show these by putting particular songs on repeat instead of skipping through the ones I don't like as much. In fact, the ones I started to not like around the 2nd to 3rd day, I've now gone back to liking again. Just trust me on this people, go check this album out. It will be completely worth it. I promise you. 

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and draft another letter for Ed Sheeran, asking him how the hell he became such a musical genius and whether he is aware that he is the only man who is able to make me feel this way through music... well, him and a few film composers, but that's a whole different genre so it doesn't count. 

Honestly, I'm beginning to think that he isn't human... also adding further proof to my theory that all ginger people are clearly superior beings. 

Have an awesome weekend guys, and BUY THIS ALBUM. 

Peace out my lovelies.

No comments:

Post a Comment