Tuesday 29 May 2012

It ain't half hot... wishful thinking and a mind that likes to wander.

The weather has been amazeballs this week. I was reluctant to talk about this as it seems that whenever the weather gets really nice this always tends to become my topic of conversation... like I'm part of some awkward conversation with someone I don't know very well and all there is to talk about is the state of the weather which lasts for like 3 minutes max before the conversation dies out and we're left standing together in a crowded room, holding onto our drinks and shuffling our feet uncomfortably as there is literally nothing else to say. Of course this then leads to both of us glancing desperately around the room at other people's conversations and actions, hoping for all that is righteous and good in the world that someone does something embarrassing like trip over their own feet or drop an entire platter of food just so we can turn our attention to that and then begin another blissful three minutes of amusing comments over their mishap as finally someone's discomfort is bigger than ours... until those three minutes are up and there are no more witty anecdotes to make about the other random stranger so that we're back to the same uncomfortable shuffling of feet and clearing of throats, once again searching for someone else in the room, this time looking for someone who we know so that we can say "I have to go say hi to that person over there, I haven't seen them in ages!" (Secretly knowing that we came with said person and see them almost every day). And although this will be a lie, both parties are more than happy to accept it and breathe a sigh of relief as we walk off to talk to someone who won't leave us feeling comfortable and actually start enjoying ourselves...

Except it's not like that at all because I don't feel awkward with any of you, I highly enjoy our conversations and being socially awkward is completely accepted in these circles as it has to be the one thing on some level that joins us all together in one beautiful socially awkward and emotionally stunted circle.

So my actual reason for wanting to talk about the weather has little to do with small talk and is actually more about the fact that nice weather hardly ever happens in England and so when it does happen everyone is thrown into such a hurrah that it becomes the only thing that we can talk about, knowing full well that this week of gorgeous heat and blazing sunshine will probably be what constitutes as our summer and soon it will start raining and become chilly and we'll look back fondly at this time whilst commenting that our summer this year seemed a little longer than it had been last year.

It's already coming to a close. There are threats of rain this afternoon. My friendly neighbourhood radio station this morning woke me up with the news along with the comments that all of us were already thinking which was, "if we all wish hard enough, maybe the rainclouds will simply go away." I feel like I should be in an episode of Care Bears, the whole country getting together, closing our eyes and wishing that our dreams can come true.

So far, although it has become slightly overcast, there has been no rain so we are all very excited as a nation.

In other news, I found myself completely aghast at my blatant lack of regard for the internet as yesterday I discovered that a new Starkid production had been put on youtube over a month ago and I was completely oblivious to it until last night. This fact alone left me feeling like I had failed as a person, which I'm sure you'll all agree is an adequate realisation to such an act. (For those of you who are saying "Starkid? Who are these people?" Please, please go and check them out. You may need several hours to go through their entire work but they are a theatre company who put on full productions and then upload the entire thing onto youtube. They are highly funny and definitely worth a look at.)

Anywho, they have a new production out called Holy Musical B@man. Which I made Housemate-Anna watch with me last night. Initially (being a more 'talk to people I can actually see rather than people I meet on the internet' person) Housemate-Anna was a little dubious about my choice of evening entertainment. Expecially when a man (Jo Walker) came onto the stage dressed in a very 70's style batman outfit with a plane model around his torso pretending to fly around Gothom. However, once she heard the song he sung about how he was so lonely without his mama and papa and how he needed a friend apart from his rubbish butler, I think she was converted.

Needless to say that I am scratching back my points on the internet by converting as many noobs as possible. Housemate-Anna is generally open to new and interesting TV shows that I might throw her way. She has drawn the line on Doctor Who, which I have taken at sheer blasphemy and almost found myself close to moving out, but then I thought... why not see it as a challenge? If I can get her into Starkid, The IT Crowd, Dawson's Creek, Phone Shop and even, for a total of five minutes before she realised what it was, Torchwood (the spin off series from Doctor Who) then there is still hope. My TV favs will be her TV favs. All I have to do is sit her in front of Flight of the Conchords and I am edging my way closer and closer to the ultimate goal... I will brainwash her. It is my duty as one of those weird housemates who doesn't really engage with the real world and prefers to spend her life wandering around the imaginary one. Wish me luck!

Peace out my lovelies

No comments:

Post a Comment